137-Sociologists, anthropologists and related professionals
Sociologists, anthropologists and related professionals
Study human society and social behaviour by examining the groups and social institutions that people form and write reports on the findings.
Sociologists, anthropologists and related professionals investigate and describe the structure of societies, the origin and evolution of societies, and the interdependence between environmental conditions and human activities. They may study the behaviour and interaction of groups, trace their origin and growth, and analyze the influence of group activities on individual members including comparing present and past societies and cultures. They may provide advice on the practical application of their findings in the formulation of economic and social policies.
Job activities and tasks include:
- conducting research on the origin, development, structure, social patterns, organizations and inter-relationships of human society
- tracing the origin and evolution of humanity through the study of changing characteristics and cultural and social institutions
- tracing the development of humanity through the material remains of its past, such as dwellings, temples, tools, pottery, coins, weapons, or sculpture
- studying physical and climatic aspects of areas and regions, and correlating these findings with economic, social and cultural activities
- developing theories, models and methods to interpret and describe social phenomena
- evaluating the outcome of political decisions concerning social policy
- analyzing and evaluating social data
- advising on the practical application of findings in the formulation of economic and social policies for population groups and regions, and for the development of markets
- preparing scholarly papers and reports
Advanced specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work in offices, libraries, institutions, research centres and in private locations. They may travel locally, nationally or internationally to visit or meet clients/stakeholders and to undertake research. They may also attend conferences and seminars.
Bachelor degree in social sciences or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 - 7 years and above
Family Development Foundation, Community Policing Department, Khalifa Fund, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTC)
Less than 5,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Anthropologist - Archaeologist - Criminologist - Ethnologist - Geographer - Sociologist
Examples of some related occupations:
Research scientist - Research associate - Social scientist - Behavioural scientist - Foundation program director - International health director (Health science administration) - Policy analyst - Research and evaluation manager - Research centre director - Research coordinator - Demographer - Political scientist - Archaeologist
UAE Industry Groups:
Community, health and social services
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi