133-Software and applications developers and analysts not elsewhere classified
Software and applications developers and analysts not elsewhere classified
Software and applications developers and analysts not covered elsewhere such as those specializing in quality assurance including software testing and commissioning. Includes developing and executing software test plans in or der to identify software problems and their causes.
This unit group covers software and applications developers and analysts not classified in the main occupational group - software and applications developers and analysts. For instance it includes those professionals specializing in quality assurance including software testing. It covers initial testing and commissioning of a newly built system, typically undertaken in concert with experts in the subject area and other IT peer professionals such as programmers. Computer testers may also be involved with clients at the application testing and commissioning stage(s). They may also analyze components of operational systems and provide solutions or recommendations to optimize performance in such things as response time and down time.
Job activities and tasks include:
- developing and documenting software testing plans
- installing software and hardware and configuring operating system software in preparation for testing
- verifying that programmes function according to user requirements and established guidelines
- executing, analyzing and documenting results of software application tests and information and telecommunication systems tests
- developing and implementing software and information system testing policies, procedures and scripts
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work in offices and may travel to see clients in their workplaces with regular work hours, but they may be required to work evenings and weekends to meet deadlines on projects. They may also travel locally, nationally and internationally to attend workplaces or conferences and seminars. They may often work long hours at the computer. They may also be required to hold certificates from, or be competent in specific proprietary software products.
Bachelor degree in computer science and technology, applied computing or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
4 years and above
Statistics Centre - SCAD, Department of Economic Development, Department of Transport, Ministry of labour, Ministry of economy, Injazat Data System, Al Taif, Advanced Integrated Systems, Dubai eGovernment Department
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Quality assurance analyst (computers) - Software tester - Systems tester
Examples of some related occupations:
Quality assurance director (QA Director) - Software quality assurance engineer (SQA Engineer) - Software quality engineer - Product assurance engineer - Software test engineer - Applications systems analyst - Computer systems auditor - Operations systems analyst - Computer tester - Network analyst - Data modeller
- Computer Occupations, All Other
- Software Quality Assurance Engineers and Testers
- Computer Systems Engineers/Architects
- Geospatial Information Scientists and Technologists
- Geographic Information Systems Technicians
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Information Technology Project Managers
- Search Marketing Strategists
- Video Game Designers