132-Web and multimedia developers
Web and multimedia developers
Design, create, produce and maintain web pages and websites using specific proprietary, public or open source content management system (CMS) software packages.
Web and multimedia development professionals combine design and technical knowledge to research, analyze, evaluate, design, programme and modify websites, and applications that draw togethertext,graphics,animations,imaging,audioandvideodisplays,andotherinteractivemedia. They analyze user needs to implement website content, graphics, performance, and capacity. They may integrate websites with other computer applications and convert written, graphic, audio, and video components to compatible web formats by using software designed to facilitate the creation of web and multimedia content. They may also be required to be certified to be permitted to work on specific web based IT systems, software and applications by a manufacturer/certifying body to assure warranty or access to the product/service.
Job activities and tasks include:
- analyzing, designing and developing Internet sites applying a mixture of artistry and creativity with software programming and scripting languages and interfacing with operating environments
- designing and developing digital animations, imaging, presentations, games, audio and video clips, and Internet applications using multimedia software, tools and utilities, interactive graphics and programming languages
- communicating with network specialists regarding web-related issues, such as security and hosting websites, to control and enforce Internet and web server security, space allocation, user access, business continuity, website backup and disaster recovery planning
- designing, developing and integrating computer code with other specialized inputs, such as image files, audio files and scripting languages, to produce, maintain and support websites
- assisting in analyzing, specifying and developing Internet strategies, web-based methodologies and development plans
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work anywhere a computer can be set up. They may work from home or in an office. They often travel locally, nationally and internationally to meet clients and other people working on website projects, such as designers, project managers and systems specialists. They often work long hours at the computer. They may also be required to hold certificates from, or be competent in specific proprietary software products such as ExpressionEngine, eZ Publish, Vivvo CMS, Squarespace, ExpressionEngine, Joomla, WordPress or high-end packages.
Diploma or Associate degree in multimedia development or web design or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 years and above
Abu Dhabi Retirement Pensions & Benefits Fund, Media Zone Authority, Abu Dhabi Media Company, Dubai Media City, TwoFour54, Statistics Centre - SCAD, Department of Economic Development, Department of Transport, Ministry of labour, Ministry of economy, Injazat Data System, Al Taif, Advanced Integrated Systems, Dubai eGovernment Department
Examples of job titles:
Animation programmer - Computer games programmer - Internet developer - Multimedia programmer - Website architect - Website developer
Examples of some related occupations:
Website designer - Webmaster - Website administrator - Website technician - Analyst (Information Technology) - Games developer - Information technology administrator - Information technology manager - Multimedia developer - Programmer (Information Technology) - Systems designer (information technology) - Technical writer - Website administrator - Web developer - Visual manager