124-Fitness and recreation instructors and program leaders
Fitness and recreation instructors and program leaders
Lead, guide and instruct groups and individuals in recreational, fitness or outdoor adventure activities
Fitness and recreation instructors and program leaders develop programs and plans covering a variety of physical, adventure or recreational activities for groups and individuals. It may involve them assessing, teaching, training and supervising such activities taking into account risk management and health limits of individuals.
Job activities and tasks include:
- planning and carrying out recreational and fitness activities
- monitoring recreational, sports or fitness activities to ensure safety and provide emergency or first aid assistance when required
- evaluating and monitoring clients? abilities and fitness and recommending activities
- demonstrating and teaching body movements, concepts and skills used in fitness routines and recreational activities
- instructing in the use of equipment
- explaining and enforcing safety procedures, rules and regulations
May work indoor, outdoor or a combination in conducting the activities. May involve working irregular hours including shift work to meet client requirements as well as working at a number of different locations, in sometimes differing weather conditions. It may be at a fitness centre, clinical setting, private practice or workplace, or in the mountains. It could be in an array of activities such as rafting, kayaking, diving, skiing, hunting, fishing, climbing, tramping and caving or bicycle touring, bushwalking, swimming, canoeing, caving, cross country skiing, horse trekking, rafting, rock climbing and sailing.
Diploma in fitness or leisure and recreation programs or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 years and above.
Abu Dhabi Sports Council, General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police, Critical National Infrastructure Authority, Armed Forces, Police
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Aerobics instructor - Fitness instructor - Horse riding instructor - Outdoor adventure guide - Personal trainer - Sailing instructor - Underwater diving instructor
Examples of some related occupations:
Ski instructor - Swimming instructor - Snowsport Instructor - Diving instructor - Adventure guide - Lifeguard - Sports development officer - Sportsperson - Teacher - Physical Education (PE)