123-Sports coaches, instructors and officials
Sports coaches, instructors and officials
Instruct or coach teams and individuals in fundamentals of the chosen sport, evaluate and look to improve their performance, understanding and skills in the sport, prepare them for competition, and where required, officiate at sporting events.
Sports coaches, instructors and officials work with amateur and professional sportspersons to enhance performance, encourage greater participation in sport, and organize and officiate in sporting events according to established rules. They often study developments in human sciences, psychology and physiology, strategies, endurance, techniques and practices to improve the way teams and individuals perform or play their sport by analyzing their performances and those of other competitors, recommend new or modified approaches, instruct or coach them, to trial and develop new skills and techniques, as well provide motivation and enhancing their capabilities. They may also manage staff and coordinate clinic, camp and club events to build trust, spirit and motivation. They typically have mastery of the rules of the game whether at amateur and professional level and can assist in officiating during competition and events.
Job activities and tasks include:
- identifying strengths and weaknesses of athletes or teams
- planning, developing and implementing training and practice sessions
- developing, planning and coordinating competitive schedules and programs
- motivating and preparing athletes or teams for competitive events or games
- formulating competitive strategy, developing game plans and directing athletes and players during games or athletic events
- analyzing and evaluating athletes? or teams? performances and modifying training programs
- monitoring and analyzing technique and performance, and determining how future improvements can be made
- officiating at sporting events or athletic competitions to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules and safety regulations are observed
- recording lapsed time and keeping score during events or competitions
- judging the performance of competitors, awarding points, imposing penalties for infractions and determining results
- compiling scores and other athletic records
Knowledge principles, practices and techniques in relevant field of sport science(s)
May work long and irregular hours, including early mornings, evenings and weekends in indoor sports facilities such as gymnasiums, arenas and sport centres, or outdoors in all weather conditions on football fields, courses, courts, cricket fields, race tracks, swimming pools, and other outdoor sports arenas and areas in a voluntary or paid position. Work may be stressful dependent on level and standard of the sport. May need to travel locally, nationally and internationally to events, competitions and conferences or seminars.
Diploma in sport sciences in relevant field of work, or related field of sport/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 years and above.
Abu Dhabi Sports Council, General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police, Critical National Infrastructure Authority, Zayed Sports Stadium, Al Jazeera Club
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Sports coach - Referee - Ski instructor - Sports official - Swimming instructor
Examples of some related occupations:
Fitness instructor - Horse riding instructor - Professional sportspersons - Recreation officer - Sports administrator - Sports development officer