121-Administrative and executive secretaries
Administrative and executive secretaries
Secretaries and administrative assistants perform a variety of administrative and clerical duties necessary to run an organization efficiently.
Administrative and executive secretaries perform liaison, coordination and organizational tasks in support of managers and professionals and/or prepare correspondence, reports and records of proceedings and other specialized documentation.
Job activities and tasks include:
- drafting administrative correspondence and minutes
- obtaining, proposing and monitoring deadlines and follow-up dates
- screening requests for meetings, scheduling and organizing meetings and travel arrangements
- assisting in the preparation of budgets, monitoring of expenditures, drafting of contracts and purchasing or acquisition orders
- liaising with other staff about a range of matters relating to the organization?s operations
- writing and answering business or technical letters and other similar correspondence
- preparing verbatim reports of proceedings in legislative assemblies, courts of law or other places using shorthand or specialized office equipment
- supervising the work of clerical support workers
Performing and coordinating an office?s administrative activities
Managers and professionals have assumed many tasks traditionally assigned to secretaries and administrative assistants, such as keyboarding and answering the telephone. Because secretaries and administrative assistants do less dictation and word processing, they now have time to support more members of the executive staff. In a number of organizations, secretaries and administrative assistants work in teams to work flexibly and share their expertise. Many secretaries and administrative assistants provide training and orientation for new staff, conduct research on the Internet, and operate and troubleshoot new office technologies. Specific job duties vary with experience and titles; such as executive secretaries and administrative assistants.
Diploma in secretaries and administrative assistants or related field of work, higher qualification or equivalent.
2 - 3 years and above.
Department of Municipality Affairs, National Consultative Council, The General Secretariat of the Executive Council
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Administrative secretary - Correspondence assistant - Personal assistant - Court reporter - Executive assistant
Examples of some related occupations:
Executive secretary - Secretary (general) - Medical transcriptionist