Prepare legal papers and correspondence, such as summonses, complaints, motions, and subpoenas. Use legal terminology, procedures, and documents. Undertake secretarial duties. May also assist with legal research.
Legal secretaries apply specialized knowledge of legal terminology and procedures in providing support to legal professionals with communication, documentation and internal managerial coordination activities, in law offices, legal departments of large firms and governments. They design and format, proofread and assist in interpreting legal documents, attend meetings and implement related actions. They also organize and coordinate office support services, monitor and control resources and oversee spending including supervising or performing related clerical and administrative duties related to legal work. They may undertake research and assist in writing reports as required.
Job activities and tasks include:
- preparing and processing legal documents and papers, such as deeds, wills, affidavits and briefs
- reviewing and proofreading documents and correspondence to ensure compliance with legal procedures
- mailing, faxing, or arranging for delivery of legal correspondence to clients, witnesses, and court officials
- organizing and maintaining documents, case files and law libraries
- screening requests for meetings, scheduling and organizing meetings
- assisting in the preparation of budgets, monitoring of expenditures, drafting of contracts and purchasing or acquisition orders
- supervising the work of office support workers
Specialist knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work and/or discipline
Legal secretaries work in law offices, corporations or wherever attorneys may be employed. Usually work in offices with regular hours. They may travel to other branches and firms, or to attend conferences, meetings and training courses. Conditions may become stressful during periods of heavy workloads related to supporting legal staff, witnesses and documentation delivery for court proceedings and court deadlines.
Diploma in legal administration, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
2 - 3 years and above
Abu Dhabi Judicial Department, Department of Transportation, Department of Economic Development, Dubai Courts, law firms
Less than 5,000
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:Legal secretary - Legal practice manager
Examples of some related occupations:
Legal assistant - Para-legal officer - Magistrate assistant - Confidential secretary - Judicial administrative assistant - Legal administrative secretary - Litigation assistant - Secretary
UAE Industry Groups:
Business, administration, tourism, retail and leisure service
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi