117-Conference and event planners
Conference and event planners
Organize and coordinate services for conventions, conferences, events, functions, banquets, workshops and seminars.
Conference and event planners plan, organize, promote and conduct events such as conventions, conferences, receptions, launches, shows, functions, meetings, workshops for a variety of organizations, communities and groups. They also, manage the event proceedings and liaise and coordinate with service providers to ensure the event runs smoothly and to schedule. They may develop business contact lists and networks and build and maintain client relations to improve opportunities to conduct events on behalf of clients. They may conduct marketing, client communications and information research and development with respect to potential clients. Maybe required to be licensed, registered or certified to be permitted to work by a government authority, agency or approved certifying body.
Job activities and tasks include:
- promoting conferences, conventions and trade shows to potential customers
- responding to inquiries concerning services provided and costs for room and equipment hire, catering and related services
- meeting with clients to discuss their needs and outlining package options to meet these needs
- arranging and coordinating services, such as, conference facilities, catering, signage, displays, audiovisual and computer equipment, accommodation, transport and social events, for participants, logistical arrangements for presenters
- organizing registration of participants
- negotiating the type and costs of services to be provided within budget
- overseeing work by contractors and reporting on variations to work orders
Specialist knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work and/or discipline
Typically work in offices and wherever events are held. It includes all types and forms of indoor and outdoor venues and facilities. They may be required to travel to events, meet clients and service providers locally, nationally and internationally. Work conditions may vary depending on the venue and type of event. The work may become stressful leading up to and during the holding of the event. May also, attend conferences and seminars to gain information and ideas.
Diploma/Associate degree in business administration, events management, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
2 - 3 years and above
Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, Western Region Development Council, Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTC)
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Examples of job titles:
Conference and event organizer - Conference planner - Wedding planner
Examples of some related occupations:
Event project manage - Event coordinator - Banquet planner - Convention Services Manager (CSM) - Conference Planning Manager - Conference Services Manager - Catering Manager - Events Manager - Conference Planner - Director of Conference Services - Conference Manager - Director of Events
UAE Industry Groups:
Business, administration, tourism, retail and leisure service
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi