Buy goods and services for use or resale on behalf of industrial, commercial, government or other establishments and organizations
Buyers (Purchasing Specialists) research, compare and plan, coordinate the purchasing process in an organization. They negotiate and generate contracts with service providers/suppliers and organize the issuance of purchase requisitions detailing the goods, products or services to be provided. They establish and maintain a service provider/supplier list including preferred provider list where part of the organization?s policy, and develop relationships with them. Their primary objective is to negotiate with suppliers to obtain the best combination of prices, quality and services. They may also monitor and coordinate quality assurance measure in relation to affirming contractual deliverables in ongoing or long-term contract arrangements.
Job activities and tasks include:
- determining or negotiating contract terms and conditions, awarding supplier contracts or recommending contract awards for the purchase of equipment, raw materials products, services and the purchasing of merchandise for resale
- obtaining information about requirements and stock and developing specifications for quantity and quality to be purchased, costs, delivery dates and other contract conditions
- purchasing general and specialized equipment, materials or business services for use or for further processing by their establishment
- inviting tenders, consulting with suppliers and reviewing quotations
- purchasing merchandise for resale by retail or wholesale establishments
- studying market reports, trade periodicals and sales promotion materials and visiting trade shows, showrooms, factories and product design events
- selecting the merchandise or products that best fit the establishment?s requirements
- interviewing suppliers and negotiating prices, discounts, credit terms and transportation arrangements
- overseeing distribution of merchandise to outlets and maintaining adequate stock levels
- establishing delivery schedules, monitoring progress and contacting clients and suppliers to resolve problems
Specialist knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work and/or discipline
Usually work in offices with regular hours. They may travel locally, nationally or internationally to visit or meet suppliers and service providers and to undertake research in relation to them. They may also attend conferences and seminars. They may travel to other branches and offices to discuss and confirm purchasing requirements. Conditions at months-end may become be stressful due to heavy workloads to meet deadlines and payment schedules.
Certificate in procurement and contracting, purchasing, business administration or related field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
2 - 3 years and above
Al Futtaim Group, Shalhoub Group, Al Tayer Group, Emirates Steel, DUBAL, Dnata, Etihad Rail, Mubadala Aero Space, Mubadala Oil and Gas
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Buyer - Purchasing agent - Procurement officer - Supply officer - Purchasing merchandiser
Examples of some related occupations:
Commodities broker - Procurement specialist - Purchasing assistant - Purchasing clerk - Procurement assistant - Purchasing specialist - Departmental buyer - Procurement officer - Purchasing associate - Warehouse clerk