Chemical engineers design and coordinate the construction and operation of manufacturing facilities and processes which convert raw materials into everyday products such as petrol, toothpaste, pharmaceuticals and plastics.
Chemical engineers conduct research and develop, advise on and direct commercial-scale chemical processes and production of various substances and items such as crude oil, petroleum derivatives, food and drink products, medicines, or synthetic materials. They direct maintenance and repair of chemical plant and equipment and study and advise on chemical aspects of particular materials, products or processes. Also, they design chemical plant equipment and devise processes for manufacturing chemicals and products, such as gasoline, synthetic rubber, plastics, detergents, cement, paper, and pulp, by applying principles and technology of chemistry, physics, and engineering.
Job activities and tasks include:
- conducting research and advising on, and developing commercial-scale chemical processes to refine crude oil and other liquids or gases, and to produce substances and items such as petroleum derivatives, explosives, food and drink products, medicines, or synthetic materials
- specifying chemical production methods, materials and quality standards and ensuring that they conform to specifications
- establishing control standards and procedures to ensure safety and efficiency of chemical production operations and safety of workers operating equipment or working in close proximity to on-going chemical reactions
- designing chemical plant equipment and devising processes for manufacturing chemicals and products
- performing tests throughout stages of production to determine degree of control over variables, including temperature, density, specific gravity, and pressure
- developing safety procedures to be employed
- preparing estimates of production costs and production progress reports for management
- performing laboratory studies of steps in manufacture of new products and testing proposed process in small scale operation such as a pilot plant.
Comprehensive and detailed knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Usually work standard hours, but may be called in to meet demanding deadlines. Those with responsibilities for continuous process plants may be on call 24 hours a day. Some may work shifts during the commissioning of new plants. Workplaces range from laboratories and processing plants to engineering design offices and research institutions.
Bachelor degree in chemical engineering or relevant field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
Required Work Experience:
5 - 7 years and above
ADNOC, Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, Abu Dhabi Food Control Authority
More than 5,000 and less than 30,000
Higher than the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Chemical engineer - Fuel technologist - Plastics technologist - Refinery process engineer
Examples of some related occupations:
Agricultural engineer - Chemist - Civil engineer - Environmental engineer - Industrial engineer - Materials engineer - Materials scientist - Metallurgist - Patent examiner - Petroleum engineer - Physical science technical officer - Production manager (manufacturing) - Production or plant engineer - Project engineer - Development engineer - Engineering scientist - Process control engineer - Process development engineer - Refinery process engineer
UAE Industry Groups:
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Occupations and Careers Handbook for UAE Nationals(Copyright NQA ). Referenced from New York University, Abu Dhabhi