Dentists diagnose, treat and prevent diseases, injuries and abnormalities of the teeth, mouth, jaws and associated tissues by applying the principles and procedures of modern dentistry. They use a broad range of specialized diagnostic, surgical and other techniques to promote and restore oral health.
- diagnosing diseases, injuries, irregularities and malformations of teeth and associated structures in the mouth and jaw using a range of methods such as radiographs, salivary tests and medical histories
- providing preventative oral health care such as periodontal treatments, fluoride applications and oral health promotion
- administering anesthetics to limit the amount of pain experienced by patients during procedures prescribing medication for relief of ongoing pain after procedures providing restorative oral care such as implants, complex crown and bridge restorations, and orthodontics, and repairing damaged and decayed teeth
- providing surgical treatments such as extraction of teeth, biopsy of tissue, and performing orthodontic treatment
- measuring and taking impressions of patients' jaws and teeth in order to determine the shape and size of dental prostheses
- designing , making, and fitting prosthodontic appliances such as space maintainers, bridges, and dentures, or writing fabrication instructions or prescriptions for dental prosthetic technicians
- restoring oral function with removable and fixed oral prostheses
- (j) assisting in diagnosing general diseases having oral manifestations such as diabetes
- educating patients and families on dental hygiene, nutrition and other measures to take care of oral health
- supervising dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
Dentist/ Dentist (public health)
Dentist, oral surgery
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon//Practitioner dental/Prosthodontis/Stomatologist/ Surgeon, dental/Surgeon, maxillofacial/Surgeon, oral
Source: Pakistan Bureau of Statistics, PSCO-2077