821- Managers in agriculture
Managers in agriculture
Managers in agriculture plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the operations and functions of farms. They are responsible for growing crops, raising and breeding livestock, poultry and other animals and marketing farm products. Managers in this unit group usually own and operate their own establishment.
Managers in agriculture perform some or all the following duties:
Manage the overall operations of a farm, ranch or orchard
Determine the amount and kinds of crops to be grown and livestock to be raised
Organize and co-ordinate planting, cultivating and crop harvesting activities; raising and breeding of livestock and poultry
Hire and manage farm personnel
Establish a marketing program
Develop and keep financial and production records
Purchase farm machinery, livestock, seed, feed and other supplies
Maintain farm machinery, equipment and buildings
Perform farming duties.
Managers in agriculture manage farms of various sizes which may specialize in particular crops such as wheat, apples or potatoes or raise particular livestock such as beef cattle, hogs or chickens.
Extensive farming experience, obtained as a farm supervisor or specialized crop or livestock worker or by working on a farm, is usually required.
A university degree or college diploma in agricultural management or other field related to crop or livestock production may be required.
- Farmers, Ranchers, and Other Agricultural Managers
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Farm and Ranch Managers
- First-Line Supervisors of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Landscaping, Lawn Service, and Groundskeeping Workers
- Tree Trimmers and Pruners
- Animal Breeders
- First-Line Supervisors of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- Agricultural and forestry production managers
- Field crop and vegetable growers
- Tree and shrub crop growers
- Gardeners, horticultural and nursery growers
- Mixed crop growers
- Livestock and dairy producers
- Poultry producers
- Apiarists and sericulturists
- Animal producers not elsewhere classified
- Mixed crop and animal producers
National Occupation Classification, (2011)
Statistics Canada and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada,
Catalogue no. 12-583-X