4215- Instructors of persons with disabilities

Canada NOC: 
Job Title: 

Instructors of persons with disabilities

Job Description: 

Instructors of persons with disabilities teach children and adults using a variety of techniques to facilitate communication, rehabilitation, social skills and increased independence. They are employed in rehabilitation centres, specialized educational institutes and throughout the school system.

Main Duties: 

Instructors of persons with disabilities perform some or all of the following duties:

Develop individualized education and intervention plans based on special needs of client to facilitate their readaptation and independence objectives
Assess individuals in areas such as physical limitations, orientation and mobility skills, and cognitive, social and emotional barriers to establish client rehabilitation or adaptation goals
Assist individuals with physical, intellectual, visual and hearing disabilities or multiple disorders to develop life skills and provide job training
Instruct individuals with disabilities and their families in the use of rehabilitative techniques, prosthetic devices, wheelchairs and other equipment designed to maximize clients' independence and potential
Instruct persons with a visual impairment in reading and writing braille and in the use of special equipment or supports such as human or animal guides, long canes and other adaptive mobility devices
Instruct persons who are hard of hearing or deaf in lip-reading, finger spelling and sign language according to individual communication needs
Instruct persons who are hard of hearing or deaf in the formation and development of sounds for speech using hearing aids, and other devices and techniques
Collaborate with specialists, such as rehabilitation counsellors, speech-language pathologists and occupational therapists, to develop programs for clients' special needs

Employment Requirements: 

Completion of a college program in special education, rehabilitation, orientation and mobility, visual impairment, hearing impairment or intellectual disability is required.
A bachelor's degree in special education or a related field such as social work or psychology may be required.

Classified Elsewhere: 

Occupational therapy rehabilitation consultants (in 3143 Occupational therapists)
Special education technicians ? social and community services (in 4212 Social and community service workers)
Special needs educational assistants (in 4413 Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants)
Special needs teachers ? elementary school (in 4032 Elementary school and kindergarten teachers)
Special needs teachers ? secondary school (in 4031 Secondary school teachers)
Speech and hearing therapists (in 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists)

International Careers(ISCO): 
Source Of Info: 

National Occupation Classification, (2011)

Statistics Canada and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada,

February 2012,

Catalogue no. 12-583-X