4165- Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Canada NOC: 
Job Title: 

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers

Job Description: 

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, produce reports and administer health care policies and programs. They are employed by government departments and agencies, consulting establishments, universities, research institutes, hospitals, community agencies, educational institutions, professional associations, non-governmental organizations and international organizations.

Main Duties: 

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers perform some or all of the following duties:

Assist in developing government health policy by reviewing relevant literature, conducting interviews, collecting and analysing statistical data, and providing advice to senior managers and officials on issues such as health promotion, regulation, standards and financing
Design and implement health projects or programs
Maintain, update and manage health information databases
Compile and analyse statistical information provided by private and public health care institutions and organizations and produce reports
Monitor and evaluate health care programs operated by government departments and agencies or private organizations
Assess compliance with health standards and identify remedial action if necessary
Conduct evaluations and assessments of health projects and programs
Provide consulting services to clients in private establishments or government departments or agencies
Respond to internal and external program and policy information requests
Produce newsletters, magazines and other documents to provide information to association or organization members or the general public
Present the views of an association or organization to politicians, government officials, the media or the general public.

Health policy researchers, consultants and program officers may specialize in a particular area of health policy development, research or program administration such as addiction research.

Employment Requirements: 

A bachelor's degree or college diploma in health science, public administration, recreation administration or hospital administration, or a bachelor's degree in social science, is required.
A graduate degree in health, social science or an administrative discipline may be required.
Several years of experience in the health field as a health care professional or as a community or social service worker are usually required.

Additional Inormation: 

Progression to managerial positions is possible with experience.

Classified Elsewhere: 

Education policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4166)
Government managers - health and social policy development and program administration (0411)
Managers in health care (0311)
Social and community service workers (4212)
Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4164)

Source Of Info: 

National Occupation Classification, (2011)

Statistics Canada and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada,

February 2012,

Catalogue no. 12-583-X