2263- Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety

Canada NOC: 
Job Title: 

Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety

Job Description: 

Inspectors in this unit group evaluate and monitor health and safety hazards and develop strategies to control risks in the workplace. They inspect restaurants, industrial establishments, municipal water systems, public facilities, institutions and other workplaces to ensure compliance with government regulations regarding sanitation, pollution control, the handling and storage of hazardous substances and workplace safety. They are employed throughout the private and public sectors.

Main Duties: 

Inspectors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:

Inspect the sanitary conditions of restaurants, hotels, schools, hospitals and other public facilities or institutions
Conduct surveys and monitoring programs of the natural environment to identify sources of pollution
Collect biological and chemical samples and specimens for analysis; measure physical, biological and chemical workplace hazards; and conduct safety and environmental audits
Investigate health and safety related complaints, spills of hazardous chemicals, outbreaks of diseases or poisonings and workplace accidents
Inspect workplaces to ensure that equipment, materials and production processes do not present a safety or health hazard to employees or to the general public
Develop, implement and evaluate health and safety programs and strategies
Initiate enforcement procedures to fine or to close an establishment contravening municipal, provincial or federal regulations
Provide consultation and deliver training programs to employers, employees and the general public on issues of public health, environmental protection or workplace safety.

Employment Requirements: 

A bachelor's degree or college diploma in a discipline such as food science, environmental studies, chemistry or health and safety is usually required.
In some establishments, several years of related work experience and the completion of in-house training courses may substitute for formal education.
Public health inspectors employed outside Quebec require certification with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
Occupational health and safety officers may require certification with the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP).

Classified Elsewhere: 

By-law enforcement and other regulatory officers, n.e.c. (4423)
Construction inspectors (2264)
Engineering inspectors and regulatory officers (2262)
Occupational hygienists and ergonomists (in 4161 Natural and applied science policy researchers, consultants and program officers)

Source Of Info: 

National Occupation Classification, (2011)

Statistics Canada and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada,

February 2012,

Catalogue no. 12-583-X