2153- Urban and land use planners

Canada NOC: 
Job Title: 

Urban and land use planners

Job Description: 

Urban and land use planners develop plans and recommend policies for managing land use, physical facilities and associated services for urban and rural areas and remote regions. They are employed by all levels of government, land developers, engineering and other consulting companies, or may work as private consultants.

Main Duties: 

Urban and land use planners perform some or all of the following duties:

Compile and analyze data on demographic, economic, legal, political, cultural, sociological, physical and other factors affecting land use
Confer with municipal, provincial and federal authorities, civic leaders, social scientists, lawyers, land developers, the public and special interest groups to formulate and develop land use or community plans
Prepare and recommend land development concepts and plans for zoning, subdivisions, transportation, public utilities, community facilities, parks, agricultural and other land uses
Prepare plans for environmental protection, such as wildlife preserves, national and provincial parks, and protection of watersheds
Present plans to civic, rural and regional authorities and hold public meetings to present plans, proposals or planning studies to the general public and special interest groups
Review and evaluate proposals for land use and development plans and prepare recommendations
Process application for land development permits and administer land use plans and zoning by-laws
Formulate long-range objectives and policies relative to future land use and the protection of the environment
Supervise and co-ordinate work of urban planning technicians and technologists.

Employment Requirements: 

A bachelor's degree in urban and regional planning, geography, architecture, engineering or a related discipline is required.
A master's degree in one of these disciplines may be required.
Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is usually required.
Urban and land use planners are regulated in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut, and membership in a provincial planning institute may be required in other provinces.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification is offered by the Canada Green Building Council and may be required by some employers.

Additional Inormation: 

Progression to management positions in planning is possible with experience.

Classified Elsewhere: 

Architects (2151)
Architecture and science managers (0212)
Engineering managers (0211)
Land surveyors (2154)

Similar O*NET Careers (USA) : 
International Careers(ISCO): 
Source Of Info: 

National Occupation Classification, (2011)

Statistics Canada and Human Resources and Skills Development Canada,

February 2012,

Catalogue no. 12-583-X