Stevedore ,Wharf Labourer
Transfers cargo between ships and other forms of transport or storage facilities.
- labelling goods with customers' details and destinations
- loading goods into trucks, containers and rail wagons, and securing loads
- assisting to tie down loads and cover them with tarpaulins
- guiding truck drivers into loading bays and through confined spaces
- performing clerical functions to record and check cargo on arrival, storage and despatch
- opening and closing hatches and securing cargo to prevent shifting during voyages
- transferring loads using moving equipment and directing equipment operations using communication systems
- stacking cargo on pallets, trays, flats and slings to facilitate transfer to and from ships
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.984