Assists with logging, felling and sawing of trees in forests.
- maintaining forest roads, buildings, facilities, signs and equipment
- killing weeds, felling and de-barking non-productive trees and thinning young plantations
- collecting seeds, and cultivating and planting seedlings for reafforestation purposes
- applying fertilisers, insecticides and herbicides to individual trees and general forest areas
- maintaining look-out for fires in forests
- removing major branches and tree tops, trimming branches and sawing trunks into logs
- assisting with loading and transporting logs
- planning the felling of trees and determining the natural and intended fall of each tree
- clearing surrounding area of saplings and debris prior to tree-felling
- operating and maintaining manual and machine saws to fell trees and to cut felled trees into logs
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.962