Operates industrial sewing machines to sew and finish garments and soft furnishings such as curtains.
- threading machines, inserting bobbins and positioning parts to be sewn
- starting, stopping and controlling speed of machines with pedals and knee levers to coordinate actions of presser feet, clothes guides, blades and other attachments, and guiding parts under needles, following edges, seams and markings
- changing needles and adjusting, securing and modifying attachments to machines
- finishing items by cutting excess material and threads
- operating thread trimming and other non-sewing machines
- inspecting stitching for defects and notifying repair mechanics of machine malfunctions
- performing basic maintenance such as lubrication of machines
- may do laying up and bundling tasks
- may ticket, label and finish work
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.825