Examines and assesses the entry of people from other countries, administers visas and residency applications according to immigration legislation, rules and policies, and, where necessary, uses legal powers to detain and remove illegal entrants.
- searching aircraft, vehicles, premises and people, and checking documents and goods to detect illegal activities such as undocumented cargo, prohibited goods and illegal aliens
- examining and assessing visas and residency applications
- testing applicants' ability to operate a motor vehicle, assessing applicants' suitability to hold learner's permits and probationary licences, and issuing learner's permits and probationary licences
- identifying pest and weed problems and determining treatments and management
- assessing claims for government benefits
- carrying out random checks of taxation documents to detect non-compliance with taxation legislation
- conducting visual checks of the mechanical, structural, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems of railway wagons, carriages and locomotives for condition and correct classification
- ensuring that train, tram and bus services are provided according to schedule, monitoring the cleanliness, presentation and condition of vehicles, and recommending improvements and changes to services
- receiving and assessing applications for licences to use water, investigating the ability of water resources to meet new requirements, and conducting site inspections
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate II or III (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 2 or 3 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 4)
At least one year of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.754