Carries out preventative dental procedures under the direction of a Dentist. Registration or licensing is required.
- providing educational programs to motivate children, parents and the community in matters relating to oral health
- providing fluoride therapy by applying remineralising solutions and desensitising agents
- removing deposits from teeth
- applying non-invasive fissure sealants to teeth
- taking impressions of the mouth
- taking dental radiographs
- administering local anaesthesia by infiltration and mandibular nerve block
- fabricating full and partial dentures
- constructing mouth guards, crowns, metal clasps, inlays, bridgework and other aids
- repairing and relining denture bases
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.592