Makes, rebuilds and repairs upholstered articles such as chairs, sofas, beds and mattresses.
Furniture Upholsterer ,Mattress Maker
- conferring with clients to determine materials and cost of furniture items to be made or repaired
- making and repairing wooden frames, and removing and replacing defective springs
- removing coverings, webbing and padding from old furniture
- securing material, padding, springs and webbing to articles to be upholstered
- measuring and cutting materials and covering furniture
- seaming cushions and joining sections of covering material
- attaching ornamental trims, braids and buttons
- padding and covering spring units to upholster mattresses
- may finish wooden surfaces on furniture
- may remove stains from fabric
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.558