392312-Small Offset Printer
Instant Printer Operator
Small Offset Printer
Sets up and operates small offset printing presses used in instant print shops or for in-house printing.
- setting, adjusting and monitoring substrate-feed mechanisms, delivery mechanisms, inking systems and other printing machine functions
- mixing ink and solvents to standard, and regulating paper and ink supply during print runs
- monitoring, evaluating and determining press operations manually and by computer to check print quality standards against proofs and detect malfunctions
- producing a variety of printed products using relief, lithographic, flexographic and gravure printing presses, and in-line finishing systems
- preparing plates, blankets and impression cylinders on small offset lithographic printing presses
- loading paper into feeding mechanisms
- monitoring machine operations and quality of printing
- undertaking maintenance, adjustment, repair and cleaning of machines
- producing and managing digital print images, and transferring and outputting images
- may set up and operate paper and bookbinding guillotines
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.549