Removes wool and hair from sheep, goats, alpacas and other animals.
- selecting and preparing shearing equipment
- catching and positioning animals for shearing
- shearing and removing wool and hair from animals
- identifying contaminated fibre and injured, infected and diseased animals
- treating skin cuts
- returning shorn animals to let-out pens for counting and checking
- may service, maintain and repair shearing equipment
- may shear stud animals with hand shears or special combs
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.536