Prepares, seasons and cooks food in a dining or catering establishment.
- examining foodstuffs to ensure quality
- regulating temperatures of ovens, grills and other cooking equipment
- preparing and cooking food
- seasoning food during cooking
- portioning food, placing it on plates, and adding gravies, sauces and garnishes
- storing food in temperature controlled facilities
- preparing food to meet special dietary requirements
- may plan menus and estimate food requirements
- may train other kitchen staff and apprentices
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.529