Performs surgery to treat patients with conditions affecting their arteries and veins. Registration or licensing is required.
- examining patients to determine the necessity of operations, estimating and explaining risks to patients, and selecting the best operational procedures
- reviewing reports on patients' general physical condition, reactions to medications and medical histories
- consulting with Anaesthetists regarding the correct anaesthesia for patients
- performing surgical operations
- examining instruments, equipment, and surgical set-up to ensure that antiseptic and aseptic methods have been followed
- instructing other medical, nursing and associated staff regarding the preparation of patients and instrument and equipment requirements
- prescribing post-operative care, and observing and investigating patients' progress
- maintaining records of operations performed
- may specialise in particular types of operations
In Australia and New Zealand:
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification, two years hospital-based training, and at least five years specialist study and training (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.339