252712-Speech Pathologist (Aus) / Speech Language Therapist (NZ)
Speech Pathologist (Aus) / Speech Language Therapist (NZ)
Assesses and treats people with communication disorders, such as speech, language, voice, fluency and literacy difficulties, and people who have physical problems with eating or swallowing. Registration or licensing is required.
- assessing and diagnosing the extent of client hearing loss using a wide range of techniques, including audiometric tests
- reporting results of assessments and tests in writing and making referrals to medical practitioners
- recommending solutions to those with hearing impairment including amplification, implantable devices, medical interventions and assistive listening devices and providing aural rehabilitation programs
- providing counselling, advice and information to clients and families as a part of overall treatment
- assisting with the development and management of noise control and hearing conservation strategies
- administering standardised and informal tests and observing clients to determine the nature and extent of their communication disorders or swallowing difficulties
- providing treatment and management of speech, language, learning and communication disorders that may be developmental, part of a disability, or acquired as a result of injury or disease
- advising on the positioning of the body and on the textures of food and fluids which assists an individual to eat and swallow safely without choking
- providing information and education to health professionals, early childhood educators and teachers, and support and counselling to individuals affected by communication and swallowing difficulties, and to their families and carers.
In Australia and New Zealand:
Occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
Source Of Info:
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.313